Wichmann Funeral Home was founded in 1898 when Mr. Louis Wichmann purchased J.P. Grassberger Undertakers and Furniture Store on West College Avenue in Appleton. From 1898 until 1922 the business called Wichmann and Kronser Furniture Dealers and Undertakers was located at 513-517 West College Avenue.
In 1922 Louis Wichmann built a new location for Wichmann Furniture Dealers and Undertakers at 531 West College Avenue. They operated from this location until 1929 at which time the Undertakers portion of the business was relocated to 228 North Oneida Street.
The next location for the funeral home was at the corner of Franklin and Superior Streets when the Wichmann Family built the location in 1931. The business remained at this location until 1959 when their new funeral home was built at the current location of 537 North Superior Street. The first crematory retort in the Fox Valley was added to the Superior Street location in 1978.
In January of 1998 the Fargo Funeral Homes of Kaukauna and Kimberly merged with Wichmann Funeral Home. Fox Cities Funeral Home in the Town of Menasha was acquired by Wichmann Funeral Homes in October of 1998 and was renamed Wichmann Funeral Home Tri-County Chapel.
For over 110 years, the funeral home has been family owned and operated by the Wichmann family and by Dan and Joanne Densow who own it today.